Mission & Mandate
The County of Lambton believes creativity, culture and quality of place are fundamental to building a sustainable, prosperous and diversified economy in Lambton County and providing a superior quality of life for our residents.
The Oil Museum of Canada, a National Historic Site, tells the story of Lambton County’s important contributions to the development of the world’s oil industry. Central to the Oil Heritage Conservation District, the museum benefits local residents and visitors by increasing their understanding and appreciation of this unique industrial heritage area
The Oil Museum of Canada is hereby continued for the purpose of preserving enhancement and presentation of oil heritage, artifacts, culture and history of the County of Lambton and its surroundings
The Collection Policy for The Lambton Heritage Museum and Oil Museum of Canada are currently combined in one policy, as part of By-Law No. 54 of 1981. The key components of this policy are:
- The collection of artifacts should, where possible, pertain to the history of the County of Lambton.
- Items should be declined if they are out of context, incomplete, duplicate objects presently in the collection, or if we simply do not have accommodation for them.
- Any artifacts originating outside the immediate geographical area should have played a historical role within the area.
- Careful consideration should be given to an object’s appeal and usefulness when exhibited, and to its educational value with regard to relating the County’s history and development.
- As a general guideline, only artifacts more than 50 years old are collected. In a few cases, more recent items may be suitable to relate to a particular event in the history of the County.
- As long-term goals, the collection should develop in such a way that it interprets the histories and development of all geographical and political parts of Lambton County. Ideally, incoming items will relate to the most important aspects of those people and events for which Lambton is, or has been, famous.