As early as 1865, a volunteer company was formed to protect the Canadian border and Lambton County along the St. Clair River. In 1872, this Lambton regiment was given the name the St. Clair Borderers. During the First World War, the Borderers supplied troops to the fighting fronts through the 70th and 149th Battalions. Men from towns such as Watford, Petrolia and Sarnia boarded troop transport trains and made their way to England were they went onto fight in the Somme, at Vimy and Ypres. The women and men who stayed behind worked in factories, farmed, raised funds, scavenged resources and wrote letters to loved ones overseas.
Lambton at War explored Lambton’s military history during the Second World War and look at more recent conflicts including the Korean War, United Nations Peacekeeping missions and the War in Afghanistan.
The Exhibit was open from May 10th, 2015 to November 11, 2015.
The stories of these men, women and families are organized by conflict and by region. Use the navigation bar on the right side of the screen to find out more information.
Feature photo courtesy of the Lambton County Archives, 9ED-G Edward Phelps Collections. Members of the 70th Battalion stand in front of the Petrolia Recruiting Station opened in 1916.